Go Gluten- free!
Looking for a change this New year? Thought about going gluten-free? Gluten intolerance affects a staggering amount of people and coeliac disease is estimated to affect 1 in 100 people in the U.K. with only 1 in 8 of those diagnosed. National Gluten- Free day (January 13th), encourages people to try a wheat and gluten-free diet to see if it could help them and the way they feel.
Being gluten-free is no longer a chore because there are so many products on the market which are catered for the specific dietary requirements, with just as much flavour and quality.
The Malted Waffle company has developed a NEW gluten-free waffle and pancake flour which tastes just as good as their regular flour recipe. So to keep all you people wanting to go gluten-free happy we have developed the most delicious recipe for the newest Chicken and Waffle trend which you would never guess is gluten-free.
For the fried chicken:
- Chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 egg whisked
- Gluten-free all purpose flour mixed with: Salt, Thyme, Basil, Oregano, Celery Salt, Black Pepper, Dried Mustard, Paprika, Garlic Salt, Ground Ginger and White Pepper.
- Oats – blitzed mixed with gluten free bread crumbs (you can make these by blitzing small chunks of gluten-free bread in a blender and then laying them on a baking sheet to brown)
- Cut the chicken to desired sized pieces (remember your cooking time will change dependant on the size of the pieces, you can do from popcorn to whole thighs).
- Roll the chicken in the flour and spice mix, then dip in the egg and coat with breadcrumbs.
- Repeat until all chicken is coated.
- Lay the chicken in a baking tray and cook in a preheated oven (180 Fan) until the chicken is cooked through (remember this will vary dependant on the size of the pieces).
- To crisp up the outer coating take the cooked pieces and fry in a pan with butter on each side until the desired colour (to keep calories down skip the step and cook for few further minutes in the oven)!
For the Waffle:
- Malted Waffle Company Gluten-free Waffle and Pancake Flour.
- Melted butter.
- Mix all of the ingredients together
- Pour batter into preheated waffle iron and cook for 3 minutes 30 seconds until steam stops
Enjoy your two dishes together the fresh crispy waffle piled high with your fried chicken and drizzled with a good helping of maple syrup!
Photo credit: https://austin.eater.com/maps/best-chicken-waffles-austin